Stavros Pissadakis, PhD
Dr. Stavros Pissadakis is a Director of Research at FORTH-IESL, leading the Photonic Materials and Devices Laboratory (PMDL). He obtained his Ptichion degree in Physics from the University of Crete, Greece and his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering/Photonics from the Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC), University of Southampton, UK. He has been employed as a Research Fellow in ORC, UK, as Visiting Lecturer in the Department of Computer and Electronic Engineering, Technical University of Crete, Greece, as Visiting Assistant Professor in Physics Department, University of Crete, and as Visiting Professor at the Information Engineering Department, University of Parma, Italy. He joined FORTH-IESL on year 2003, and shortly after he established the PMDL in the premises of FORTH. He has been heavily involved in the European Platform Photonics21, being a Member of the BoS, while also chaired the national platform PhotonicsGR. He has been involved into several research projects (European, national, industrial), personally attracted a total budget greater than 1.75MEuros. His current scientific interests include photonic crystal and microstructured optical fiber devices, whispering gallery mode resonators, optical fiber sensors, optofluidics/magnetofluidics and study of optical materials photosensitivity. He is a Senior Member of OSA and a Topical Editor of Applied Optics.
Researcher ID: C-6091-2011
Maria Konstantaki, PhD (Principal Application Scientist)
Maria Konstantaki received the B.S. degree in Physics from Crete University, Greece in 1993 and the PhD in Electrical Engineering from Strathclyde University, Scotland in 1997. From 1994 to 1997 she was a Marie Curie PhD research fellow in Strathclyde University investigating optical fibre sensors for Structural Health Monitoring applications. In 1998 she joined the Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH), Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser (IESL) where she now holds the position of Principal Application Scientist (ELE B’). She has been involved in research on the non-linear properties of novel materials, photosensitivity studies and grating inscription in standard and photonic crystal optical fibres. Her current scientific interests are focused in the design and development of optical fibre sensors and the endorsement of the technology by end users beyond the laboratory environment. Dr Konstantaki is an author or co-author of more than 100 journal and conference publications.
Researcher ID: A-2412-2014
George Violakis, PhD (Distinguished Stavros Niarchos Foundation – FORTH Fellow)
Georgios Violakis received his B.Eng. degree in Metallurgy from National Technical University of Athens in 2005, receiving an award from the Technical Chamber of Greece for his diploma work. In 2008 he received his MSc degree in Micro- and Opto-electronics from the University of Crete and in 2013 he received his PhD degree in Photonics from École Polytechnique Fédéral de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. His PhD thesis has been awarded the Professor René Wasserman Award (Switzerland). From 2013-2014 he has worked at EPFL as a post doctoral researcher, investigating novel lasing materials in optical fibers, and fabricating and embedding optical fiber sensors for aviation structural monitoring. From 2014-2017 he has worked as scientific collaborator at Empa, Thun (Switzerland), working in the field of large scale laser microfabrication and in the field of acoustic sensing using optical fiber probes. In July 2017 he joined the Photonic Materials and Devices Laboratory at Institute of Electronic Structure and Lasers in FORTH, Greece. He has authored or co-authored more than 30 peer-reviewed international journals and conference publications and is co-inventor of 3 international patents in the field of acoustic sensing. His current research interests are focused in novel non-linear optical materials for use in optical sensors and devices.
Cesar Elosúa Aguado, PhD
Cesar Elosúa Aguado is a lecturer and research associate at the Public University of Navarre since 2010. He received his MS degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering from this institution in 2004, becoming a PhD in 2010. Thereafter, he got a Biomedical Engineering diploma in 2013. He has been a visiting researcher at University of Limerick (2018), City University of London (2013, 2014) and at the University of Strasbourg (2016, 2017, 2018). He has participated in more than 40 conferences and co-authored 37 research papers. His research interests include optical fiber sensors and networks, nano-films and data mining techniques.
Davide Vurro [PhD Student]
Davide Vurro was born in Bari, Italy, in 1990. He studied Materials Science in University of Bari, Italy and received his degree in 2014. He also holds a Master Degree in Material Science and Technologies from the same University. He is enrolled for a Doctorate degree at the University of Parma, Italy working for IMEM-CNR and CAMLIN GROUP. Currently he is on a three month visit to PMDL - IESL investigating silk based photonic devices.
Nikos Korakas[PhD Student]
Nikos Korakas was born in Athens, Greece, in 1988. He studied Physics in the University of Crete, Greece, and he received his degree in 2012. Recently he received his master degree “Microsystem and Nanodevices” from National Technical University of Athens. He joined PMDL in May 2016 as a PhD student working on experimental and theoretical investigation of disruptive light localization in MOFs for the development of novel photonic devices.
nkorakas (at) iesl.forth.gr
Dimitra Skiani [Undergraduate student]
Dimitra Skiani is at the 4th year of her studies at the Department of Physics, University of Crete. She is currently working for her final year research project on optical fiber tilted Bragg grating sensors.
Former Members and Visitors
- Vasileia Melissinaki PhD Student (Next Position: Post-doctoral Fellow at Non-linear Lithography group of IESL-FORTH)
- Georgia Konstantinou Master student (Next Position: PhD student at Photonic Systems Laboratory, EPFL, Switcherland)
- Eirini Tagoudi Master student (Next Position: PhD student at Laboratory of Applied Photonics Devices EPFL, Switcherland)
- Dr. Ioannis Konidakis Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Next Position: Post-doctoral Fellow at Ultrafast Laser Micro/Nano- Processing Group, IESL/FORTH)
- Dr. Kyriaki Kosma Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Next Position: Post-doctoral Fellow at Lasers for Art's Sake, IESL/FORTH)
- Dr. Karolina Milenko Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Next Position: Post-doctoral Fellow at Nanoelectronics and Photonics Research Group, NTNU)
- Dr. Alessandro Candiani PhD Student (Next Position: Post - doctoral Fellow at Group of Applied Electro-Magnetics (GAEM), University of Parma, Italy)
- Dr. Gianluigi Zito Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Next Position: Post-doctoral Research Fellow at University of Napoli Federico II, Italy)
- Dr. Paul Childs Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Next Position: Senior IT Programmer at Allied Express, Australia)
- Dr. Aashia Rahman Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Next Position: Research IP Professional at GE Global Research, India)
- Dr. Jan Vanda Post-doctoral Research Fellow(Next Position: Junior researcher at Institute of Physics Czech Academy of Science, Czech Republic)
- Dr. Michele Sozzi PhD Student (Next Position: Currenty Post - doctoral Fellow Group of Applied Electro-Magnetics (GAEM), University of Parma)
- Dr. Georgios Tsibidis Research Fellow IESL - FORTH
- George Violakis MSc Student (Next Position: Post-doctoral Research Fellow at Optical Fiber Device group, EPFL, Switcherland)
- Salvador Torres Phd Student (visitor, Univ. Valencia, Spain)
- Christos Pappas Msc student (Next Position: with FORTH - PHOTONICS)
- Evangelos Vagiartakis Msc student
- Christina Spitieri Msc student
- Michalis Livitzis Msc student (Next Position: PhD student, University of Cyprus)
- Irini Michelakaki Msc student (Next Position: PhD student, NTUA Athens)
- Giannis Fragkos Undergraduate student
- Kostas Pahis Undergraduate student
- Waldemar Deibel Undergraduate student (Next Position: Head-Hardware Developer at Advanced Osteotomy Tools-AOT AG)
- Christos Mourikis Undergraduate student (Next Position: Intern at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
- Stavros Timotheatos Internship
- Sylvia Fedele Internship